A position is available immediately to join an exciting and growing enterprise poised to make accessible next-generation cancer sequencing diagnostics widely available.
Contextual Genomics is a leading Canadian genomics company based in Vancouver, BC, built by world experts in the field of cancer genomics. A Bioinformatician position is available immediately to join an exciting and growing commercial enterprise that makes next-generation cancer sequencing diagnostics widely available to patients across the globe. We develop and distribute state-of-the-art molecular tools to inform patients and their oncologists of optimal treatment strategies for their cancer.
The Bioinformatician will design and implement bioinformatics workflows for novel and proprietary cancer-focused next-generation sequencing (NGS) assays. This will include working closely with laboratory and software teams to assess and evaluate assay changes, optimize performance, and validate results.
This position will contribute to designing, implementing and reporting quantitative quality control and quality assurance processes from NGS output to ensure clinically robust reports.
The Bioinformatician will be responsible for analyzing multiple datasets. This will include compiling reports for partners and collaborators. Attention to detail and uncompromisingly meticulous execution of analysis is critical to success in this position.
The successful candidate will work independently but will interact with software programmers, database developers, other bioinformaticians, clinical geneticists and laboratory personnel.
- Ph.D. or Masters degree in, bioinformatics, data science, biostatistics, genetics, genomics or equivalent
- 1+ years of experience working in a clinical or research setting related to genomics
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX operating system environment and facility with command-line interfaces
- Experience with Python (desirable) or other coding languages
- Experience with NGS data
- Experience in quality control/quality assurance in NGS data
- 3+ years experience working with standard NGS analysis tools such as samtools, alignment software (e.g. BWA or bowtie) and variant detection (e.g. GATK, samtools)
- (Desirable) experience with GitHub and cloud-based computing such as AWS
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and analysis of large data sets
- Analysis and interpretation of clinical and research-based NGS datasets as they emerge from sequencers
- Curation of datasets to determine their clinical repeatability
- Determination of mutations existing within a sample through the application of internal software systems
- Integrity checking of results to be reported to the clinical team
- Design and generation of validation studies and reports required for clinical accreditation
- Assistance with deployment and optimization of clinical assays
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize workload and set priorities
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job
More information on Contextual Genomics can be found at http://contextualgenomics.com
To apply for this position, email CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with job code: JD022 in the header.
We thank all applicants, however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.