A position is available immediately to join an exciting and growing enterprise poised to make accessible next-generation cancer sequencing diagnostics widely available.
Contextual Genomics is a leading Canadian genomics company based in Vancouver, BC, built by world experts in the field of cancer genomics. A Bioinformatician position is available immediately to join an exciting and growing commercial enterprise which makes next-generation cancer sequencing diagnostics widely available to patients across the globe. We develop and distribute state-of-the-art molecular tools to inform patients and their oncologists of optimal treatment strategies for their cancer.
The Bioinformatician will design and implement bioinformatics workflows and software for novel and proprietary cancer-focused next-generation sequencing assays. This will entail the analysis and interpretation of assay results from clinical datasets to be used in clinically certified reports.
This position will contribute to designing and implementing quantitative quality control and quality assurance processes from NGS output to ensure clinically robust reports.
The Bioinformatician will help design optimal analytic processes to be implemented by a software development team. The optimal processes will inform a locked-down software system for clinical deployment.
The Bioinformatician will be responsible for analyzing multiple datasets. Attention to detail and uncompromisingly meticulous execution of analysis is critical to success in this position.
The successful candidate will work independently but will interact with software programmers, database developers, other bioinformaticians, clinical geneticists and laboratory personnel.
- Masters degree or a doctorate in genetics, genomics or bioinformatics
- 1+ year experience working in a clinical or research setting related to genomics
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX operating system environment and facility with command-line interfaces
- Experience with next-generation sequencing (NGS) data
- Experience in quality control/quality assurance in NGS data
- 1+ year experience working with standard NGS analysis tools such as samtools, alignment software (eg BWA or bowtie) and variant detection (e.g. GATK, samtools)
- Analysis and interpretation of clinical NGS datasets as they emerge from sequencers
- Assessment of quality of results and curation of datasets to determine their clinical reportability
- Determination of mutations existing within a sample through the application of internal software systems
- Integrity checking of results to be reported to the clinical team
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize workload and set priorities
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job
- Company’s Vancouver area office.
More information on Contextual Genomics can be found at http://contextualgenomics.com.
To apply for this position: email CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with job code: JD022 in the header.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.